One thing that’s really helped me get through the first trimester was trying to focus on the good parts about not exercising or eating only white carbohydrates. I’m so fortunate that this is really the first time in my life I’ve been laid low for health reasons—and what a blessing this particular malady is in the long run. It’s so easy to take our bodies and our lives for granted when things are mostly running along as they should. Getting taken out back by the pregnancy fairy is the best possible reason to spend some time doing nothing but taking care of yourself. Even if “taking care of yourself” takes on new shapes and new meanings you never expected.
It also makes me so, so grateful for having the ability to work remotely, in my pajamas, most of the time. I’m blown away by the women who find ways to fake it til they make it at their day jobs, especially those kinds of jobs that require you to be ON for most of the day. I’m looking at you, teachers, nurses, sales people, managers, all of you. You’re amazing.
I can’t help but wonder if men went through this, if there’d be a more gracious form of maternity / puking-your-guts-out-creating-life kind of leave for those early parts of pregnancy.
Anyway. Let’s focus on women out there who are crushing it, no matter what. Starting next week we’re partnering up with Lorna Jane, women entrepreneur and founder of her eponymous workout apparel line. I’m in love with their products and with Lorna herself; she’s such an inspiration to women everywhere. Fun fact: she started out cutting up old leotards (this was the 80s, people) to create workout clothes that stayed put AND made her feel fabulous. She’s coming out with a new book, Inspired! and I’m joining in the fun.
So can you! (pregnancy not required!)
Join me, starting Monday, for a fun 5 day #LJInspired Instagram Challenge hosted by @FitApproach & @LornaJaneActive (yes, there are prizes!)
Here are the daily prompts:
- Day 1 (Monday, July 13th): How do you dream big? #sweatpink #LJInspired @FitApproach @lornajaneactive
- Day 2 (Tuesday, July 14th): What’s your fave healthy swap? #LJInspired #SweatPink @FitApproach @LornaJaneActive
- Day 3 (Wednesday, July 15th): Who inspires you? [Tag 2-3 friends!!] #LJInspired #SweatPink @lornajaneactive @fitapproach
- Day 4 (Thursday, July 16th): What does happiness mean to you? #LJInspired #sweatpink @fitapproach @lornajaneactive
- Day 5 (Friday, July 17th): What makes you an #LJInspired girl? #sweatpink @LornaJaneActive @FitApproach
And don’t forget to join us on 7/21 from 5:30-6:30 pm PT for a fun #LJInspired #SweatPink Twitter party for another chance to win prizes & a copy of Inspired: https://www.facebook.com/events/852624931491346/.