One thing that’s really helped me get through the first trimester was trying to focus on the good parts about not exercising or eating only white carbohydrates. I’m so fortunate that this is really the first time in my life I’ve been laid low for health reasons—and what a blessing this particular malady is in the long run. It’s so easy to take our bodies and our lives for granted when things are mostly running along as they should. Getting taken out back by the pregnancy fairy is the best possible reason to spend some time doing nothing but taking care of yourself. Even if “taking care of yourself” takes on new shapes and new meanings you never expected.
It also makes me so, so grateful for having the ability to work remotely, in my pajamas, most of the time. I’m blown away by the women who find ways to fake it til they make it at their day jobs, especially those kinds of jobs that require you to be ON for most of the day. I’m looking at you, teachers, nurses, sales people, managers, all of you. You’re amazing.
I can’t help but wonder if men went through this, if there’d be a more gracious form of maternity / puking-your-guts-out-creating-life kind of leave for those early parts of pregnancy.
Anyway. Let’s focus on women out there who are crushing it, no matter what. Starting next week we’re partnering up with Lorna Jane, women entrepreneur and founder of her eponymous workout apparel line. I’m in love with their products and with Lorna herself; she’s such an inspiration to women everywhere. Fun fact: she started out cutting up old leotards (this was the 80s, people) to create workout clothes that stayed put AND made her feel fabulous. She’s coming out with a new book, Inspired! and I’m joining in the fun.
So can you! (pregnancy not required!)
Join me, starting Monday, for a fun 5 day #LJInspired Instagram Challenge hosted by @FitApproach & @LornaJaneActive (yes, there are prizes!)
Here are the daily prompts:
- Day 1 (Monday, July 13th): How do you dream big? #sweatpink #LJInspired @FitApproach @lornajaneactive
- Day 2 (Tuesday, July 14th): What’s your fave healthy swap? #LJInspired #SweatPink @FitApproach @LornaJaneActive
- Day 3 (Wednesday, July 15th): Who inspires you? [Tag 2-3 friends!!] #LJInspired #SweatPink @lornajaneactive @fitapproach
- Day 4 (Thursday, July 16th): What does happiness mean to you? #LJInspired #sweatpink @fitapproach @lornajaneactive
- Day 5 (Friday, July 17th): What makes you an #LJInspired girl? #sweatpink @LornaJaneActive @FitApproach
And don’t forget to join us on 7/21 from 5:30-6:30 pm PT for a fun #LJInspired #SweatPink Twitter party for another chance to win prizes & a copy of Inspired: https://www.facebook.com/events/852624931491346/.
It’s been 6 weeks since I did any kind of exercise, unless you count my one pathetic squat jump at Fitbloggin’ last weekend. Even though walking from my bedroom to my kitchen feels kind of like exercise, given all the huffing and catching my breath it inspires, it’s been pretty rough not feeling well enough to move around and sweat. I’ve always depended on exercise as a reliable way to brighten my mood, relieve stress, work through problems, and give me more energy. Not having access to the magical cure-all of a good sweat has been really hard, especially lately.
I watched Tangled with my godchildren last weekend, and I had a flash of solidarity with Rapunzel: I’m living in a high rise for the first time in my life, and I can’t help but feel I’m in my own little lonely tower. I’ve been feeling kind of isolated, disconnected from my community, my new city, and my favorite activities. I thought I had turned a corner last weekend, and was really hoping it would stick and that I’d start getting my life back, but I had a major relapse coming back home. So tired. So nauseous. And getting pretty down about this slide back into symptoms.
I’m doing my best to change my outlook, and muscle through this last week (hopefully?) of first-tri symptoms, focusing ever so hard on the light at the end of the tunnel. So I created a list of all the benefits of not exercising—AKA why it’s a GREAT thing to be a couch potato for two months:
- Your pedicure lasts forever. Mine is a month old and, as long as you don’t look too close, it’s still completely passable.
- You don’t have to wash your hair as often! I always try to stretch hair as long as possible between washings. Not sweating doubles the length of time I can go between. Here’s to half as much blowdrying!*
- Way less laundry. No daily pile of sweaty workout clothes to deal with.
- Way more time to get stuff done. I gained a ton of time moving here because I was no longer commuting 2+ hours / day. Now, I’ve recovered another 90 minutes to 2 hours (or more, when you count the blowdrying!) thanks to my not-leaving-the-house-ever situation.
- All pajamas, all the time. My normal M.O. is to put on sweats immediately when I get home from work / wherever. I would always prefer to be in sweats than real clothes. Now I basically live in lounge clothes. Kind of embarrassing when I open the door for Instacart or package deliveries, but whatever, I’m pregnant.
* That’s a lie. I also have not blow dried my hair in about a month. Why bother, when it’s just me and Tigger, napping and lounging?
The #sweatpink community is rallying around a common goal this summer: to achieve 1 million minutes of activity together.
Getting moving off my couch has felt a little beyond me for the last 6 weeks (not that I’m counting!), but, according to my paper chain and my pregnancy app and all the other countdown mechanisms I’m using, I *should* be feeling better pretty soon. And there’s nothing better than the #sweatpink sisterhood to motivate me back into action!
So… here’s my goal for the summer, via a mad lib blog post everyone’s participating in. Just keep in mind this might be a slightly delayed activity.
Want to join? Just copy the Mad Lib below and fill in the underlined parts with your own answers! 🙂
I am so excited to join #1MillionMinutes with #sweatpink! This summer my goal is to do _1000_ (number) minutes ofswimming (activity), while wearing my favorite _blue & green__ (color) _prAna swimsuit (noun).
I predict that we’ll _CRUSH_ (Verb) the goal of #1MillionMinutes – we’ll actually hit _2,000,000_ (number) of minutes this summer! I predict that _running_ (activity) will be the top-logged movement.
I’ll get extra minutes in by _walking or biking_ (verb) to my yoga studio (place)!
My favorite way to get extra minutes in is by doing the fun run (verb) with Running Hutch and BlogFest attendees! (person). My dog Tigger_(person) is my BEST activity partner because he/she is so high energy ALL THE TIME. (adjective). Our favorite way to relax post-workout is to nap together.
I tag Petite Heartbeat , Running Rachel, and The Fit Switch (people) to help us reach #1MillionMinutes… or more!
If you want to join the challenge, join us! There’s a bunch of fun prizes plus a ton of social sharing / activity to help you build your brand, make more online friends, and just have fun. 🙂